Although a patient might understand that wearing braces to correct a dental misalignment can improve their smile in the long run, during treatment, they may not be pleased with the impact that braces have on their appearance.
Can you relate? If so, consider asking your dentist about Invisalign as an alternative to braces. If you’re a candidate for Invisalign treatment, you may find it corrects a misalignment or similar issue just as effectively as braces without requiring you to wear unsightly metal wires and brackets.
What Does Invisalign Treatment Involve?
Invisalign treatment involves wearing clear plastic aligners that straighten teeth the same way braces do. As the name implies, unlike braces, Invisalign aligners are essentially invisible.
The Invisalign treatment process usually involves the following steps:
- Discussion and examination: Your dentist will typically begin by examining your teeth and discussing your treatment options. They will confirm whether Invisalign is the right treatment for you.
- Developing a treatment plan: If you and your dentist decide to move forward with Invisalign treatment, they may take x-rays and make impressions of your teeth. They will send these images and impressions to Invisalign to create custom aligners that fit your teeth perfectly. While Invisalign creates your aligners, your dentist will work on your treatment plan, deciding how long treatment should last. According to Invisalign’s own research, you might complete the treatment process in as little as six months, although more significant misalignments could require longer treatment.
- Providing you with aligners: Your dentist will provide you with sets of custom aligners once the lab finishes creating them. They’ll explain when you should wear your aligners, when you shouldn’t, and when you should switch to a new set. Your dentist will also offer basic tips for protecting your teeth and the aligners themselves during treatment. For example, you need to remove your aligners before eating, brushing, and flossing.
- Wearing the aligners: The purpose of Invisalign aligners is to slowly and steadily shift the position of your teeth. During treatment, your dentist will probably request that you see them for regular follow-up appointments. These appointments give your dentist the opportunity to confirm the treatment is working properly without any complications.
It’s important to follow your dentist’s instructions perfectly when using Invisalign aligners. Doing so is key to achieving ideal results. If you have any questions about how to properly wear and maintain your aligners, your dentist will gladly answer them.
Benefits of Invisalign Treatment
If a patient is a candidate for Invisalign, this treatment option can restore their smile in the same way traditional braces can. Research shows a person’s mental and emotional wellness tends to improve when the appearance of their smile improves. Fortunately, unlike braces, Invisalign has no negative impact on a patient’s smile during treatment.
That’s not the only benefit Invisalign may offer. Other reasons some patients may prefer Invisalign include:
- Because patients remove Invisalign aligners before eating, they don’t have to restrict their diets the same way they might have to if they were wearing braces.
- Invisalign aligners are often more comfortable than traditional braces.
- Invisalign treatment can be just as effective as traditional braces, ensuring a patient doesn’t sacrifice quality treatment in the name of aesthetics.
These are just a few reasons you might wish to discuss Invisalign with a dentist if you need to correct a dental misalignment. A dental professional can answer your questions and help you better understand whether you’re a candidate for Invisalign.
Learn More About Invisalign
At 508dentist, with offices in Swansea, MA and North Attleborough, MA, our team is on hand to discuss Invisalign treatment with you. Get started today by contacting us online or calling us at 508-336-8478 to request an appointment.