As we age our skin naturally loses subcutaneous fat, causing the muscles underneath to become closer to the surface. Simultaneously, the skin then stretches and thins out. As those muscles work, underneath a thinned layer of skin, we see the results of that movement more clearly in the form of wrinkles and facial lines.
Dermal fillers are a substance that is injected underneath the skin’s surface to restore lost volume and hydration. Most fillers are comprised of either collagen or hyaluronic acid, which are both compounds naturally found in the body. Collagen is a fibrous protein that makes up 75% of the skin. Hyaluronic acid is a type of polysaccharide found in the deep layers of the skin called the dermis, and is responsible for helping the skin retain water and stay hydrated. As both of these compounds naturally diminish with age, the typical signs of aging then increase. Hence, we see wrinkles and sagging skin. Replacing these lost compounds counteracts the aging process and results in a more youthful look.
In addition to shrinking the lines and wrinkles in the face, dermal fillers can also be used to plump the lips — restoring lost fullness and correcting an uneven appearance. As the lips are the permanent frame for our smile, we use these fillers to create symmetry, reduce lip lines and creases, and add volume and shape.
The key benefit to all of these fillers is that the patient maintains their normal facial movements and expressions after treatment. To date, we offer a number of different dermal filler options for our patients, depending on their individual needs and the areas they are looking to address. These include:
- Juvéderm®: The #1 selling hyaluronic acid (HA) filler in the U.S., primarily used to contour cheeks, plump lips and smooth lines.
- Restylane®: Another hyaluronic acid filler option, designed to help correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.
- Belotero Balance®: A smooth, flexible gel that gently fills in lines and blends into the natural structure of the skin.
- Sculptra®: This filler helps stimulate the body to produce its own natural collagen within the skin.
- Radiesse®: A gel microsphere solution that once injected, immediately adds volume. It then stimulates collagen production that over time replaces the gel as it is absorbed by the body.